Thursday 4 May 2017

A week with another family

Last 25th of March I packed my suitcase, full of illusion, curiosity and wishes to learn about the English culture.

When the teacher asked us in October if we wanted to spend a week abroad with another family in Totnes, I didn’t think it twice! My friends also agreed so, since that moment, we didn’t stop talking about it and we shared our common feelings. From that month to March I was so anxious that I counted the days crossing them on my calendar. When the date was coming I felt a mixture of feelings between fear and joy.


Are you intrigued about what I did that week? Well, I’m going to tell you what my days were like. We spent the day we arrived with our host families visiting a village called Dartmouth, where I had the opportunity to travel by ferry. The rest of the week we followed a timetable.
In the mornings, we went to Gate House, our school, to improve our English. Maybe you are thinking this is the same that we do in Spain but you are wrong! Lessons were dynamic and funny because we did oral activities and we talked about different topics each day. During the break we joined students from different countries. The family prepared my lunch which I ate at Gate House.


In the afternoons we went on some trips; the first we made was a tour through Totnes to show us the town. If you have a sweet tooth you would have enjoyed it because we cooked the typical scones with butter and jam and we ate them. Another day we went to Torquay where we could see the seafront and then we had fun shopping and bowling. The following day we visited a National Park named Dartmoor where there is a huge rock (a tor) that we could climb, but don’t worry we didn't have to make a great effort! In our last excursion we went to Plymouth. There, we saw one of the biggest aquariums in Europe. We were surrounded by water! Apart from the tours, we also played team games and organised workshops of different things.


In the evenings, most days we stayed with our host families. Those evenings weren’t different to ordinary evenings here in Spain. We talked with each other to practise our English. Two of the evenings we spent in Totnes, we met all together to watch a funny film and, since all's well that ends well, we enjoyed a final party playing bingo and listening to music. As losers say, the important thing is to take part! We were cheerful and excited but gloomy at the same time because in two days we had to return home.

When I was there I didn’t realize how much I was learning. In the first place what I have improved the most is my fluency because staying with another family teaches you a lot of vocabulary, idioms and pronunciation. Moreover, I have learned a lot about British culture, its customs, its gastronomy and its schedules. In the third place, I got used to living with a foreign family very quickly. They made me feel as if I was at home!


To conclude this breathtaking experience, I suggest that if you have an opportunity like this, don’t waste it, because you will regret it for the rest of your life. I hope that this post has helped you travel to Totnes and you have felt, a little bit, what I felt when I was there.

14 comments:

  1. I like this new experience because we had been with a family that wasn't our. I enjoy a lot and I think if we can repeat this journey again I will do it without any doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! You’re right in everything! It was my first time out of Spain and I was scared to death but now I wish I never left. The one thing I’m going to miss the most is the friends I made and my host family. What can I say?, it was the first time in my life that I wanted to go to school and never go to sleep. Every day was different and there were new things to do, I honestly wish I can experience it again. Thank you for bringing up those memories again :)

    Lydia Casado Calvo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is really nice. I loved to stay in a host family that week and everything was awesome, we learnt a lot and now that I have read this I just want to get back there. The day we went bowling and shopping I had so much fun, but I have to say that the final party was not so good as we expected... nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good post, and very exciting trip the one to totnes.馃憤

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good post, and very exciting trip the one to totnes.馃憤

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What an incredible post. I have felt identified in all aspects, a unique experience that you have to live at least once. You could not describe this adventure better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg! I loved the post, you have been able to describe everything perfectly, in fact when I was reading I have some shaking chills. I miss my hostfamily, the people and everything from Totnes. I can not wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh!! nice post. You have described our amazing week in a perfect way. While I was reading the post, I remembered all the good moments at the school and at the villages we visited. I love the experience of being in a foreign family, they were so kind, I also felt as if I was at home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete