Thursday 25 May 2017

KOREAN WAVE AND KPOP


We all know the importance that Asian culture has had through history and still has nowadays. Usually, when someone talks about any Asian influence we think about Japan or China, but I want to focus on a recently popular movement called the Korean Wave. It doesn’t have a “starting point”, but we could say that it started being recognised in the 90’s.

The main source of its fame is music. I first started to become interested in Korean music after I heard the famous musical success “Gangnam Style” by Psy, because I didn’t know which the language of the song was.

Today they have their own musical category called KPOP and some groups are even more famous in foreign countries than in their native one. Some bands like EXO, BTS, Super Junior or Topp-Dogg are widely known around the world because of their amazing videos and performances.


When I first watched one of their videos I was impressed by the coordination of their movements despite the large number of members, because most of the bands have at least eight members. Probably you’re wondering why they have so many members; well, it might be just to draw our attention, because you have a more complete range of voices to work with or because you don’t need to hire dancers, but none of them are the real reasons. They have so many members because their objective at first was to please everyone’s preferences. These bands were mainly intended to have girl followers and as everyone has different tastes, each member of the band was to represent a type of personality (there’s a cute one, a cool one, a rich one... and usually there’s a rapper too).

But then... what happens with the boys who like this kind of music? Seeing that it was so well accepted by men too, there appeared a lot of female bands such as AOA, KARA, Cosmic Girls or Sistar. These bands work exactly the same but all their members are girls.


Sometimes two bands perform a song together, but it’s not very common because they never hit so many views as they usually have individually. I really recommend you to watch some KPOP videos even though you don’t like the song just to see the dances, and who knows, maybe you can find a song you like (some videos are just nonsense and that’s why they are so funny). Although it’s called KPOP there are some groups that have tried to write songs from other genres.

Last but not least just in case you search for the lyrics online let me give you some advice; unless you know Korean or have a really good pronunciation with foreign languages, don’t try to sing in front of other people because they may think you are either cursing someone or calling them stupid (personal experience).

And that’s it! I hope you’ve enjoyed and learned something new. Feel free to let me know if you’ve heard KPOP before or if you intend to do it. SEE YA!

13 comments:

  1. With this post you have made me learn many things that I did not know before reading it, as you said I was one of those who always thought in China or in Japan when they told me something about Asian influence but I promise I will not do it anymore hahahaha.
    On the other hand I have to say that the song "Gangnam style" at the beginning was funny but with time I hate it, anyway I will investigate more of these bands and with the information you have given me, I will see if I like them or not.
    pd: The thing I know for sure is that I'll laugh a lot because the lenguage is so much different from the romance lenguages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn`t like Kpop music but I have learn a lot with this post.I won`t try to sing that music becaue it is to difficult to pronunce it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never listened one of this songs, but after reading this, I'm sure I will do it. Thanks flor discovering me a new musical style, I think I will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not used to listen this kind of music, but I have seen one vídeo and it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed so much the video linked to “some videos are just nonsense” (I’m laughing so hard):), and I’m in love with BTS “Blood, Sweat &Tears”

    Lydia Casado Calvo

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!! I have seen some videos of different bands. I love EXO because their rhythm and their choreographies are extraordinary. On the other hand I have seen one girl band called AOA, I like the band, but not as much as EXO. Thanks to this post, I have discovered new music which I thought I would never be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like this music but what i like is learning new things, so good for me

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't really like this kind of music

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had never heard of this type of music, I have found interesting to read this post but I am not going to search for any videos, I don't know... it doesn't draw my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like this music but I think that it's interesting and different. It is good to know things about other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't like this music but I think that it's interesting and different. It is good to know things about other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a strange music. I dont like a lot, but It is good to listen a different song and not always a song of electronic,rap, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard a little about this music. The other day I saw the MTV Music Awards and I saw the performance of BTS, it was amazing. Even so, I don't like too much the music, maybe because I don't understand the letter hahah

    ReplyDelete